• The origin of the Venetian carnival has not been established with certainty, but it is a common convention to acknowledge the beginnings in 1094 when doge Vitale Falier first talks about “public amusement” allowed from authorities and the word … Continue reading
Category Archives: All
#93 Smile please!
• And there we are, once again. For the short time of few days, the frenzy of carnival, hopefully, will wash away all our anxieties, worries and fears. Like this merry couple, let’s enjoy at most the feast. p.s. And … Continue reading
#92 Cafe Florian
• Wandering around very early in the morning, before the swarm of tourists invades Venice and transfigures it in the amusement park it looks today.
#91 From one year to the next
• Wishing all of you out there the best for the New Year, may it bring you what you are looking for.
#90 Hidden beauties/2
• September; likely, the busiest month in town. Sorry, definitely……… I walk surrounded by an endless and noisy multitude of tourists, feeling overwhelmed and hopeless, mumbling how bad it is and how worse it can get year after year. Few … Continue reading
#89 A troubled year, an uncertain future
• The year that will end in a few months has been one of the most troubled and difficult for Venice since a long time. The controversy on large cruise ships and the water traffic in the city, after the … Continue reading
#88 Little girl waiting
#87 Here comes the fun!
• Like every year we have entered the most intense and exciting days of the Venetian carnival; this week, masks and costumes will be the undisputed stars and, at least for a while, everyone will be able to put aside … Continue reading
#86 We’re almost there!!
#85 Movida (the Venetian way)
• Like many other cities of this beginning of the 21st century, Venice too has its (sort of) nightlife district, for which the center of gravity is Campo S. Margherita, a large and irregularly shaped square located not far from the … Continue reading
#84 The (most) amazing waterway
• Grand Canal (“Canalazzo” as locals call it since ever) has always been, from the earliest centuries of the venetian republic, the city’s main waterway and, beyond that, the most important and coveted stage for the most influential and powerful … Continue reading
#83 A fragile beauty
• What to say about the gondola that has not already been said for the millionth time? Too bad, the latest news related to this intriguing boat are not the ones you’d like to hear. Obviously, the root of the … Continue reading